|What is Learn to Earn?
Learn to Earn is a half-day career event program that offers a way for 7th – 10th grade students to learn about differentcareers and enables schools to integrate career development into their curriculum. The workshops help students answer the question of “Why am I learning this?” and demonstrates the real world application of academics, including the importance of math, science, communication, and technology classes and their relation to the emerging job opportunities in Vermont. Students are encouraged to think about ways to gain experience and knowledge prior to high school graduation.How does Learn to Earn work?Whole grade levels (typically at the sophomore level) are surveyed to gain an understanding of their top career interests. Local career professionals are then recruited and trained to facilitate 50 minute hands-on career workshops in a school or on a college campus. Students are able to personally connect with area businesses, learn what a typical work day might entail, and better understand the job opportunities that are available to them. They are also able to practice a skill used on-the-job through a 30 minute hands-on activity in each workshop.
The four major objectives of Learn to Earn are:
1. To encourage teens to consider careers in emerging and growing occupations,
2. To highlight how academics such as math, science, communication, and technology are used daily “on the job” and to demonstrate the application of 21st century job skills,
3. To show teens how their current coursework relates to their future career and college goals, and
4. To encourage teens to improve their own financial literacy in relation to their future decision-making.
A half day career event typically is structured as follows:
- 45 minute keynote speaker motivational presentation
- Two 50-minute hands-on back-to-back career workshops, which students opt into beforehand
- Q&A panel where all career presenters are available to answer questions from the entire class
Where is Learn to Earn happening?
Learn to Earn is currently happening in many regions throughout Vermont including the counties of Chittenden, Rutland, Bennington, Washington, Franklin/Grand Isle, Addison, Northeast Kingdom, as well as the Upper Valley and impacts 5,000 students per year.
Want to bring Learn to Earn to your school or be a career presenter? Contact:
Elizabeth Langfeldt at (802) 951-8849 or e-mail email@example.com.